Braces are an investment in your appearance and health. Once you have them, it’s time to put more work and care into your teeth than you may be used to. Brushing, glossing, and paying attention to a few simple tips on how to care for your braces will keep those braces in great shape.
How to Care For Your New Braces
Brush, brush, brush
Keeping your teeth clean is important, especially now that you have braces. With braces, you may have spots on your teeth where plaque can easily develop. Follow a few simple tips to keep your teeth and gums healthy:
- Brush at least three times per day
- Brush for at least two to three minutes each time you brush .
- Brush all of your teeth and your mouth, including your tongue
- Gently brush the gum line where the teeth and gums meet.
- When brushing your top and bottom braces, use enough pressure to just get the bristle tips under the wire
- Consider using an electric toothbrush for a more effective, healthy clean – ask Dr. H. M. Omana for recommendations and demonstrations
You may be thinking that once your braces are installed, you’re done with flossing for a while. In fact, you should floss more frequently with braces to keep your teeth healthy.
- You can use a floss threader to help move the floss under the braces wire on each tooth
- You can move the floss to gently hug the sides of each tooth, and between each tooth
- You might use a water flosser – ask Dr. H. M. Omana for recommendations and demonstrations
- Rinse with mouthwash after brushing and flossing
Let Us Know As Soon As Possible If Anything Goes Wrong
Brackets can come loose on one or more of your teeth, and wires can break. If this happens, it’s important to let us know as soon as possible. We may need to schedule an appointment. Just keep us posted.
We’ll check your braces often to ensure everything is going according to plan. Stay current on your appointments and let Dry H. M. Omana and the friendly, professional Omana Orthodontics know of any questions or concerns, especially concerning discomfort. There are many options available to alleviate discomfort and help you enjoy the process of improving your teeth.
Practice Good Eating Habits
We all love sweets, but moderation is key especially when it comes to braces care. Try to:
- Stick to soft foods (yoghurt, cheese, fruits, vegetables, eggs, etc)
- Avoid hard, crunchy, sticky foods (caramel, taffy, nuts, hard candy, chewing ice, meat on bones such as ribs)
- Cut food into small pieces which you can pop into your mouth instead of biting into
Your braces are an investment in your smile. We’ll make your braces work for you – it’s up to you to work toward keeping them in good shape. Contact Omana Orthodontics today in our Salt Lake City or South Jordan Utah locations and we’ll set up a consultation.